Daytime Television Drama: Umm...



Watching Television (pic by google)

I bet everyone all agree that ‘entertainment’ has been almost a primer necessity for people in this modern era. Related to this matter, recently I see that television is one of the prototypes of entertainment source which is considered essential. It is proven by almost all of the family in the city has one in their home (either my family…). I see that television offers and comprises all type of things to entertain. I put the example such day time dramas, is kind of things in TV which are enjoyed by lots of people during afternoon break.  I know that there are so many people believe that watching a daytime television drama is worthy. My brother, too, he enjoyed this thing so much. Nevertheless, I’m personally included the one who disagree with that opinion for some reasons.

            

Spending time with friends (pic by google)

Most people—mostly middle-aged people I guess, lol…—who like to spend their time watching daytime drama claim that it is a good idea to restrain their weariness after working all day long. This form of entertainment fits nicely during the break time because most of daytime dramas are not provided in long duration (Lindsay Patton-Carson). However, even though watching daytime drama only takes a little time, I’m still thinking that it is considered worthless due to the fact that daytime drama provide only a low quality entertaining things with lots of exaggerate scene on it. I realize that there are still other valuable things which can be done during daytime. Spending time with friend is considered as another way to release the stress too. Instead of watching a drama with full of bad content, talking with a friend can change the whole moods to be better. Barbara Fredrickson, PhD, author of Positivity believes that speaking is another quick way to break into a smile, any form of it will releases endorphins—hormones of positive emotion—and elevates the mood. 


Napping (pic by google)


Another beneficial thing to do during short daytime break is napping, this one is my favorite activity, yaayy :D.  Imagine after suffering from full time in a college/school, doing abundance activities, ended up with numerous tasks to do later at night. Don’t you think napping is the best and simple routine to restrain all the stressful activities during the day? (Of course if you have a short time during afternoon). The health website ‘treehugger.com’ writes on its page that there are lots of positive effects to health such as provides a memory boost, calms the nerves, and lowers the blood pressure.
Television Advertisement (pic by google)

Other reason stated by people who use to watch drama during daytime is that is usually accompanied with several advertisements. So while they watch drama, they can get other information simultaneously (Brenda Palmer). Nonetheless, I realize that statement is completely disregarding the fact that the advertisements which are rolled up during daytime drama can drive people to buy things that they will not buy. I’ve tried watching drama during daytime for several times and personally I’ve got a huge temptation to purchase lots of things from the advertisement served on TV that made me interested. It is like my heart whispered itself, “Omg I haven’t tried that make up yet, I need to have one later!” or “that sausage looks delicious, I shall try it tomorrow”. See? The power of advertisement :’D. I see the article from famous website ‘personalexcellence.co’ wrote that many advertisements have subliminal message to drive its viewer to purchase something which actually not a primary needs. So, I think watching drama during daytime indirectly leads people to wasting money (I’ve experienced it myself:’D).
Junkfood ads on TV (pic by google)


The last argument advanced by people who love watching daytime drama is one of good source of health improvement due to several scenes of the drama which often make them burst into laugh, as the famous saying goes ‘laughing is best medicine’ (Wagner). I asked my brother about his perspective towards daytime dramas he enjoyed most and he revealed that it is very amusing yet lifting his mood up. However, I observe that there are also opposite results of watching television drama for health. There are numerous studies that draw direct parallels between excessive daytime drama watching and obesity. “Most people think, 'Well you spend a lot of time sitting around, so you gain weight.' But most of the impact is just because of the marketing and advertising during that time that tends to increase intake of a range of unhealthy food products,” says Steve Gortmaker, a professor of the practice of health sociology in the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.


pic by google


 To sum up, for me it is a wrong idea to think that watching daytime drama is worthy. Watching it during daytime may boost your mood, but I believe that there are so many positive things which are better to be done more than that. Talking with friend or taking a nap for example, are more valuable and yield a good health improvement. Decreasing the time to watch drama during daytime also made people to avoid seeing the advertisements which waste the time as well as money unconsciously. Another good reason why people should avoid watching drama during daytime is that it may increase the size of waistline gradually, as Professor Steve Gortmaker from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health said, people can gain weigh by sitting too much because of watching and also can be tempted by advertisement to buy unhealthy food which leads to obesity. Finally,  I conclude that in my personal  judgment, it is so much better to spending time with other beneficial activities during daytime rather than watching the drama because of its plentiful disadvantages. What about you? :))


0 comments:

Post a Comment